The Heathen Homemaker’s Weekly Meal Plan
Week 10: 09/20/15 – 09/26/15
Last week I didn’t have a witty comment. I was so tired and coming up with a plan felt like hitting my head against a brick wall. I said I should have just planned a week of slow cooker meals.
Well I’m still tired. I’ve been having a severe bout of anxiety (guess what? I sometimes suffer from debilitating anxiety that makes it hard to leave the house, even though I’m a very outgoing person. High five if you can relate!) and that makes e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. harder.
So I took my own last-week’s advice and planned out a week of dump & cook slow cooker meals. I’m not screwing around with slow cooker meals that require you to brown and or sauté shit before it goes into the slow cooker. Uh unh.
What are you having for dinner?
Sunday – cookout with can’t-really-call-them hot dogs, slaw, chips
Monday – curried chicken & cauliflower, brown rice, salad
Tuesday – Hamburger hash
Wednesday – Turkey pumpkin chili
Thursday – pork shoulder roast BBQ sandwiches, baked beans, succotash
Friday – Basil chicken with feta, some sort of veggie I will dig out of the freezer
Saturday – Free-for-all
Now it’s time to…
What did you really eat last week Jenny?
- Planned: Roasted chicken, oven fries, roasted carrots
- Actual: There were no whole chickens at the supermarket. I kid you not. None. I really, really didn’t want to schlep to another store so I stovetop-cooked some chicken breasts I had hanging around and served them with the oven fries and roasted carrots. The fries were a fail. More on that later!
- Planned: Mexican zucchini and beef, brown rice, fresh rolls
- Actual: The beef skillet dish was delish and super easy to make. I have to make my kids eat their “regular” dinner before I let them eat rolls because otherwise they won’t eat anything else! I make a mean dinner roll :-)
- Planned: 15-bean soup w smoked sausage, day-old rolls (perfect for sopping!)
- Actual: Oh how I love thee, my bean soup! This was our very first ever day of soccer for the boys, so it was extra nice to come home to a hot, hearty meal.
- Planned: Homemade pizza* using the ABin5* olive oil dough
- Actual: I always think making pizza with my 4 year old twins will be fun. I never learn. It’s always a disaster. The pizza was delicious – don’t get me wrong – but the process, the whining because it doesn’t cook in 15 seconds, the further whining because it has to cool off for 5 minutes in order to avoid a trip to the emergency room for roof-of-mouth burn, the mess, is a bit much for me to handle. Especially when I’m already edgy from anxiety. It was a Xanax night for sure.
- Planned: Slow cooker pot roast with potatoes, onions and carrots
- Actual: This is an old standby. Easy to make, easy to eat. I meant to make rolls but forgot to make the dough. Doh!
- Planned: Vegan avocado pasta, roasted broccoli, garlic bread
- Actual: Ok, there just wasn’t enough Xanax in the world to get me through Friday. Chinese take-out to the rescue
- Planned: cookout with can’t-really-call-them hot dogs, slaw, chips
- Actual: The avocados are on the very edge of too ripe, so the vegan avocado pasta had to happen Saturday or not at all.