The Heathen Homemaker’s Weekly Meal Plan 07/26/15
Last week was a slow-cooker sort of week. This week is a shop-from-the-pantry sort of week. I noticed that multiples of things have been gaining territory in my cupboards, so I decided to do as much as I can with what I already have.
Sunday – hot dogs , chips, corn
Monday – petite sirloin steak , zucchini, freezer veggies
Tuesday – roasted chicken, sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes
Wednesday – Ground beef surprise , freezer veggies
Thursday – curry leftover from last week, rice, naan (it already has lots of veggies in it)
Friday – chicken sort-of caprese  (inspired by The Frugal South’s meal plan for this week), zucchini, noodles or pasta of some sort
Saturday – This is the day we’re actually going to the baseball game, so my previous plans remains the same: Spend $130 at the stadium on 4 hot dogs, one 90-ounce cup of soda, and a bag of popcorn.
 These are not your childhood hot dogs. I’m not sure “hot dog” accurately describes what they are. They are Ballpark’s premium hot dogs: 100% Beef, no artificial preservatives and no nitrates or nitrites. And soooo tasty! This link is not an affiliate link, although it should be, ’cause I’m a big fan!
 Yay for marked down steak!
 Surprise, as in, I have no idea what I’ll make with it.
 I’m not exactly sure how I’ll make this but I have fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and cherry tomatoes I’ve saved from my poor neglected tomato vines.
Now it’s time to…
What did you really eat last week Jenny?
Last week was slow cooker week. How did I do?
- Planned: Butternut squash soup and fancy-ass grilled cheese sandwiches (a.k.a. grilled pimento cheese)
- Actual: This is what we had!
- Planned: Chicken enchilada soup
- Actual: I made the curry Sunday night because I needed to cook it or freeze it. Since it was ready Monday, we ate it. We had brown rice with it but I forgot the naan. Grrrr!
- Planned: Jenny’s Infamous Mark-Down-Meat Slow Cooker Curry, rice, naan
- Actual: Curry was last night, so I’d planned to just trade and do the enchilada soup. Unfortunately I forgot to start cooking anything until around 3pm. I made a chicken and rice casserole instead, but had to do it in the oven instead of the slow cooker. I tossed some broccoli in there and called it a complete meal.
- Planned: chicken & rice casserole along with some sort of Trader Joe’s frozen veggie chosen at random from the Big Freezer in the basement pantry
- Actual: Finally, we’re getting to the enchilada soup. I made the homemade enchilada sauce and the soup turned out great!
- Planned: Fish in foil, sauteed summer vegetables, and a salad if I get around to it
- Actual: I couldn’t do it. I almost never, ever make fish at home. Hubby is not a fan and I always feel like I’m doing it wrong. A couple of weeks ago I made the recipe I linked to but I lost my nerve this time. Guess what we ate instead? Chinese take-out! Woot for virtually no clean up!
- Planned: Mexican breakfast casserole, salad
- Actual: This was one of the only nights we had what I’d planned… except I was too lazy to make the salad. I added extra cheese on the casserole instead. You know, to make it… healthier.
- Planned: We’re going to a baseball game that night, so I imagine we’ll spend $130 at the stadium on 4 hot dogs and a bag of popcorn
- Actual: Sooooo I actually had the date wrong on the baseball game… It’s NEXT Saturday. Doh! We ended up having hodge-podge dinner, which means every man for himself on grabbing the most palatable leftovers he/she can find.
Do you plan your meals? How far ahead? How well do you stick with it? Let me know in the comments!
And tell me what eating this week. Seriously – I’m always super curious about that!