The Heathen Homemaker’s Weekly Meal Plan 08/09/15
Last week was a try-not-to-have-leftovers sort of week. This is a busy week-before-school-starts sort of week so I want to keep it super, super simple.
Sunday – On the road. We’ll be on the way home from a weekend in the mountains. We planned and packed to make our own meals during the trip but also planned to have a Wendy’s dinner on way home. Balance.
Monday – Leftover spaghetti, rolls, salad
Tuesday – slow cooker: Basil Chicken with Feta, brown rice, salad, roasted broccoli
Wednesday – slow cooker: creamy corn and spinach enchiladas , refried beans from a can (for shame!)
Thursday – lemon rosemary chicken , Trader Joe’s Country Potatoes with Haricots Verts & Wild Mushrooms, salad
Friday – Ropa vieja, rice, black beans, salad
Saturday – Hodge Podge night!
 I have some leftover taco meat that I’ll use, but I think it would be better with shredded chicken or pork.
 I’ll cook chicken breasts this way, layering lemon slices and fresh rosemary over the chicken once it’s been turned.
Now it’s time to…
What did you really eat last week Jenny?
- Planned: 30-minute enchiladas that take 1 1/2 hours to make, spanish rice
- Actual: Yup. And it definitely took me an hour and a half to make. But it was good!
- Planned: Spaghetti & meatballs, salad, broccoli
- Actual: A majorly stressful event happened this day so I called my husband and told him to bring home whatever and that I was way too stressed out to eat. He brought home burgers from Wendy’s for himself and the kids.
- Planned: Chicken curry from the freezer, naan, rice, spinach
- Actual: We had enough leftovers hanging around the house to have a hodge podge night instead.
- Planned: Major cookout. Probably hot dogs, baked beans, slaw, etc.
- Actual: We had about 20 people for the cookout. I made some lemonade to go with it and we had watermelon, and chips to round things out. It was great fun and there was very little clean up.
- Planned: Tacos at our rental house (I’ll cook and prep stuff ahead, then reheat everything at the rental house)
- Actual: This worked out great. We ate the taco stuff over tortilla chips, so it was a really easy meal to throw together as soon as we arrived.
- Planned: Mac & cheese at the rental (made ahead and then cooked at the rental), salad
- Actual: I decided at the last minute to make spaghetti, so I didn’t have to make the mac & cheese ahead.
Do you ever plan to cook while you’re on a trip? (as opposed to a vacation — there is definitely a difference) Let me know in the comments!